Saturday, July 21, 2007

My Soul Patch!

This started when we first decided upon roping in Mr Pijush Datta to be our design consultant for Extramarks. This guy is a typical Ad agency ex. One feature that stands out, the moment you see him, is his facial hair. He wears this small patch of beard under his lips.

The second time Pijush visited us I decided this beauty spot could adorn my face too.
So there I was within, a week’s time I had this beauty spot on me. My wife liked it and my daughter was thrilled as it grew and started showing prominently on my face. To my surprise even our chairman complemented me for being stylish!

As this beauty spot became prominent confusion crept in. Some one called it a ‘goti’, some couldn’t name it and I started calling it‘stubble’. In my quest to look for an end to this confusion I took refuge in the internet.

This beauty spot is called a Soul Patch and Google throws about 556,000 for soul patch beard in 0.10 seconds. A Soul Patch is a small patch of facial hair just below the lower lip and above the chin as per the
Wikipedia

I also know now, that it has a close relation with music as The Soul Patch came to prominence in the 1950s and 1960s and was a style of beard popular with beatniks (a member or follower of the Beat Generation) and jazz artists. Jazz trumpeters in particular preferred the soul patch because it provided comfort when using a trumpet mouthpiece.

The patch has been famous for centuries. William Shakespeare sported a Soul Patch beneath his famous moustache and there is an
Annual world championship in 12 Beard & Moustache Categories.

D.H. Lawrence rightly said "How beautiful maleness is, if it finds its right expression"……….the pictures below are a perfect example :-)



6 comments:

Unknown said...

Interesting!
Now at least I know your soulful devotion to developing the Soul Patch.

Interesting again that every little thing (or not so little) has a history and a story.

alok bhatnagar said...

Interesting post as usual.. However the pic highlighting the sole patch (ha ha ha) is not clear enuff! Interesting to see Maleness through the prism of facial hair!

Unknown said...

Very interesting. Also b'coz in addition to your cute stubble I have also been talked about in your blog.

Pijush haina said...

Wow its me & your soul patch. Quite distinct. So its really good to see too many people are in soul patch good show all the best.

Pijush Dutta

Sai Healing said...

It is interesting to know

Sai Healing said...

It is interesting to know