Monday, July 2, 2007

Delhi Autos dot com!

Indian is embracing the Internet well now. As we read reports from IAMAI and other sources that the Internet penetration and usage is increasing at a good rate, we are encountering the word 'dot com' more often in our day to day lives.

The newspapers are covering the Internet better, there are TV shows and there are FMCG brands creating brand/segment specific websites to increase the customer interaction. Whats interesting is that you are getting to see the word 'dot com' at places where you would expect it the least. On the back of Autos in Delhi, for instance.

The first time I noticed it was when I saw a sticker of mouthshut on an auto, while I was driving down to my office. Some weeks later I saw another one. This time it was oktatabyebye, which is the blogsite of the travel portal MMT.

I am sceptical if any kind of milage (in terms of customer acquisition) is derived out of such promotion. However I am forced to think that there could be some juice in it as more and more sites are using the 'Autos Back' to publicise their urls.

Thanks to my Nokia N70, you can see what I clicked, on my way to the office.








9 comments:

alok bhatnagar said...

Interesting.Image 4 is not seen though.I guess this works to some extent!

Manav Khosla said...

This scene though common in Mumbai. About Customer Aquisition whatever is happening as result of Auto Ads would be new users and non-internet users... as if u look at where autos come from and ply often they come from places like shahadra (east delhi, Mangol Puri (North Delhi) where you are more likely to aquire new users who would get on to internet for first time. Also the comman man would wonder what is this manglikmilan.com and as a result will try as that's local and need based ad. Something that needs advertiser attention and research.

Anonymous said...

Ya Praveen, nice observation, though really can't comment on millage it provides, but I think if this continues Internet Ad revenues are deffintely not gona go up. :-)

Further this is only happening in Metros, Basic work is far way behind . As the chllange lies in the Mini Metros and small towns which actually gona provide internet the base , as we say hitting the width of the triangle.
Lets wait and watch.....

Deepti Kaul said...

Hey! Good one, infact I have also seen these urls behind the autos.A good publicity idea. What say??

Pijush haina said...

Good stuff. I really like the story. This is in media terminogies calles" Media Innovation" People r doing advertising in match box too. Just recently in Cannes Indian ad agency Ogylvi got Bronze in one of this kind media innovation award. All the best. Good show.

Unknown said...

I can't see this in Hyderabad enough (and miss it). Rather I haven’t seen much advertising for websites even though internet penetration is good.

I feel it is an ok advertising idea and works for a set of audiance; need based mostly.Some research and innovations may just do the trick.

Unknown said...

I can't see this in Hyderabad enough. Rather I haven’t seen much advertising for websites at locations other than autos even though internet penetration is prity high.

I feel it is an ok advertising idea and works for a set of audiance; need based mostly.Some research and innovations may just do the trick.

Anonymous said...

Well said... autos are a great publicity medium for small-time websites. This advertising trick ensures that the advt gets noticed by everybody around without spending huge bucks :-)
- Yoj

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.